Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
An Old Classic

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Adventure Around the Corner


Not the nautical kind, but adventure nonetheless.  I have two more weeks of tough boat work ahead of me and then I will get packed for a two week backpack trip through the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming with brother Pete.  Truth be known, I have much more experience in backpacking than sailing.  It's the adventure I like anyway.  We will start the trip at South Pass City, Wyoming and end in Jackson Hole.  It is a 100 mile trek through some of most beautiful scenery on earth.  We will travel on the  Highline Trail, which parallels the high peaks for 60 miles.  I love this place.  It is an unassisted hike which has required us to keep our pack base weight to an absolute minimum.  Our target pack weight is 40 lbs, with 20 lbs in food. We will run out of food if I don't catch some mountain trout.  Hopefully the fish will bite.  This is the lightest pack I have carried for this type of trip to date.  Only the bare essentials will be taken on this one.  I am hoping my experience in backpacking will bleed over into sailing, allowing me to pack light and deal with uncomfortable situations from time to time.  Only time will tell.

We had a great hike, 9 days and 120 miles of mountain travel.  Description of hike at The Portal

No comments: